Tricky Critters!!!

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Tricky Critters!!!

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Following on from the post I made earlier in the year……………..

“It is quite possible that, towards the end of a fishless week of Carp fishing, one can “scratch” for Gudgeon from the boathouse or dam and save a blank. It has been said that anglers have been known to go there specifically for the Gudgeon, these Gudgeon scratchers are a very rare breed these days.

It’s funny, when I fished there last February and October I looked for the Gudgeon but couldn’t find them. To capture a Carp, an Eel and a Gudgeon is to complete the Redmire Set! But alas, they do much the same as the Carp and vanish when us piscators arrive with rods.

Having said that, during last years and this years work parties, they are there in numbers. On Friday I took to the punt to transport items from one side of the pool to the other and after donning the lifejacket I unleashed the punt and looked down, they were there in numbers, good ones too. I aspire to capture a Record Gudgeon from Redmire, any of us would, imagine that, Redmire back on the map with another British Record!!!

Even Little Redmire (a smaller pool a few hundred yards down the valley) has Gudgeon, the sluice runs through a pipe and into the baby lake. When the lake needs draining or the level dropping for any reason they remove some bricks and the water flows. I guess some of the Gudgeon are swept through and now reside there. I spent some time at Little Redmire this weekend and the Gudgeon shoals gently tap the surface under the Duckweed, it is quite enchanting. Little Redmire is just how you imagine the Redmire of old to be, overgrown, unfished and just as pretty. It does contain small Carp; some of the babies taken from previous nettings were put there and are still there, I observed them swimming around with their dark backs out of the water. Magical stuff………

So yes, the Redmire Gudgeon still thrive, and I’ll be going all out in August to break that 5oz record that has stood for 21 years! I may have a little dabble for the Carp also…………”

I have come to the conclusion that the mighty Gudgeon do, indeed, have mystical, almost magical, powers!!!

Again, whilst at the pool with rods they evaded us, not a Gudgeon in sight even though we searched all their familiar hidey holes and haunts. I did, though, see Mr Dabchick rise through the water with one held aloft in it’s beak as if to show off, gloating that I couldn’t find them, but he could. Perhaps its what the Gudgeon do just to annoy me, “Hide from the angler but give yourselves up to the Dabchick!!”

On my next visit to the pool I shall more determined than ever. Until then, I think I shall practice fishing for them on our local stream, just to get a head start!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Tricky Critters!!!

We knew what you meant, lovely post!!! :thumb:

I actually used to think, for a while, that they were baby Barbel!!!! :think:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Alright, I'm a gudgeon!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

How about this for an idea. A traditional fisherman forum gudgeon match. Find venue, trad bait, let the gudgeoning begin!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

st.john wrote:Alright, I'm a gudgeon!
Well done ST :chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

So, how about it.... Gloves are off, war paint on, best peacock quill dusted off, gudgeons at dawn. I know Nigel of Davis tackle'll be interested.....he's gudgeon mad. In fact if he joins this he should instantly be made king gudgeon, and every one should shower him with praise and great things.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Gudgeon At Dawn, love it!!! I'm in.............. :huray:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

In the Seventies, when I was a schoolboy, the Midland canals were absolutely heaving with gudgeon - lovely, irridescent creatures, ever ready to oblige. The matchmen loved 'em - caught 'em in their hundreds: and then, overnight, the great shoals seemed to diminish like dissolving clouds. Then we found the Worcestershire Stour - a venerable old river returning to form after decades of pollution. The gudgeon there were exceptional fish - perhaps averaging 1.5 to 2oz. A few were even larger. Few people had fished the Stour until then, and it was a case of fish thriving on neglect. I haven't caught a gudgeon now for years - and I rather miss them!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

As a kid the gudgeon was always welcome in my keep net. I can remember catching the on the Leicester canal and the River Soar.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I always preferred the Ruffe. Sorry but I did. It was a prettier fish in my opinion and not in such abundance as the Gudgeon.

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”