Alcock Aerial reel

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Alcock Aerial reel

Post by Snape »

This is my Aerial which I bought a couple of years but I know little about it.

I have searched the internet for information but have not found anything. Does anyone know which model it is (1915 pattern?) and what the numbers 21257 stamped on the reel seat mean.

Thanks
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Alcock Aerial reel

Post by Mark »

From the front it looks like it could be a couple of models. Any chance of a photo of the rear of the reel and the inside of both half’s. It would also help if you can confirm where you got the year of the reel from.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The reason for the date is Chris Lythe's description of a reel he makes being based on the 1915 pattern which is very similar to this reel.

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/ ... e-pin.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/ChrisLythe.htm
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It looks very much like the Model 7950-T2 manufactured from 1914 to 1925.

Your reel has the word 'patent' stamped on the front flange and the Allcock round stamp on the back plate. It also has the see through copper calliper check mechanism, all this relates to the Model 7950-T2.

I also notice the number 15 stamped on the inside of the reel (just to the left on the bottom picture). Holding the reel with the number 15 at the top you should find another number 15 stamped on the inside of the vent holes flange, the two numbers should be stamped practically in line with each other, it is hard to find sometimes but it will be there. This number means it was the 15th reel of the batch that was being made at the time and the numbers were on both parts of the reel so they were not mixed up when assembled. As for the numbers stamped on the reel seat I have never come across before and will investigate further.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Thanks brilliant, thanks.
I have searched for info about identifying aerials but haven't found anything. Where do you get your information?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mostly from books and a very little bit of knowledge from inside my head gained over the years (and I mean little). :think: I’ve never come across anything on the internet that goes in-depth enough, especially when it comes to Aerials.
Mark (Administrator)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

One of the handles on this reel is nicely loose and turns freely but the other one is really quite tight.
Does anyone know how to loosen it?
I have tried various lubricants but so far nothing has made a difference.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

If it turns, but is tight, check that the rivet isn't turning as well. If the rivet isn't turning it's probably the rivet that is too tight. On a reel of that age (and value) I'd be reluctant to fiddle too much, but there will be someone (Gary Mills for example) out there who can help.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

SeanM wrote:If it turns, but is tight, check that the rivet isn't turning as well. If the rivet isn't turning it's probably the rivet that is too tight. On a reel of that age (and value) I'd be reluctant to fiddle too much, but there will be someone (Gary Mills for example) out there who can help.
More likely years of muck built up between the spindle and the outer handle. The rivet won't have tightened itself since the reel left the factory. No use squirting WD40 or oil behind it, as that'll just make matters worse; you could try using compressed air to blow the muck out, but chances are it's so gummed up by now the only solution would be to remove the handle, separate the spindle, clean it up and re-assemble - and on a reel of that age and value it would certainly be a job best reserved for Gary Mills.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, but people DO clout loose rivets hoping to tighten a loose handle GOS.

Which is fine as long as you slip a couple of feeler gauges under the handle so you don't over-tighten it and cause the handle to bind.

If your handle can be moved up and down its shaft just a little, then this is not the problem, however Snape.

Handles that can't be unscrewed for cleaning are a right pain.....I've blasted half a can of WD40 down the red straw into one tight handle once, before something very old and horrible finally came out.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”