my week 2012

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
St.John
Tench

my week 2012

Post by St.John »

Sooooo. This'll be pretty short. Arrived at 1.00 Sunday after a swift meet up pint at the white lion (a fine fishy establishment incidentally) with Nigel (gray, owner of Davis tackle) and (dave) basher (royalty barbel record holder for about 5 weeks and angler extraordinaire!). All the morning the swines had been winding me up that the van was broken and they would be late-gits. Upon arrival we decided to fish 'three in a row'-me pitchfords, nigel stumps, basher open pitch. After setting up the camps we proceeded to have a jolly good drink on the old cider!!! It's very much a holiday mentality for the first few days at least!! Think we stayed up till about 2 talking rubbish and thinking of plans to change the world. At half five in the morning a seriously hung over st.john was rudely woken by the foul sound of a fox alarm set full (seemed a good idea at 2 in the morning to turn them up!) And after a tussle I landed a high 15 common.
Anyway. Reeled in the rods and slept for an hour or two more before getting up the shallows where I spent the majority of the days. Nigel came up with a fantastic idea incorporating a bubble float and worms-and proceeded to empty redmire of eels! He was taking the 'orrible worms 6 inches from the top-but this tactic seemed to sort out the smaller ones!! Weather was foul for most of the week and Tuesday and Wednesday sort of blurred into a mess of mud with interspersed episodes of cider and stalking to no avail. Missed a few runs in the night due to seriously weird slow takes-and after changing my rigs the foul sound of the fox rang out only for me to loose it in the weed! Thursday afternoon I saw a sight I shall never forget as described on the thread 'now I know' and my whole opinion of the pool changed in seconds from being one of 'a heavenly place with some good twenties in' to 'a heavenly place with some uncaught monsters that could re write the rules'. Didn't sleep much that night and lost another fish in the morning. The gudgeon fishing was slow this year with only one being caught-to Nigel. Basher ending up with four carp to 15/2 and nigel getting 2 mid doubles as well as 17 eels. Had a great week but the weather and mud made it hard work! We have now put a load of scalpings down to try and combat the mud and by all accounts it working well. Ahhhhhhh role on next session!

One of bashers fish.

view from wasp island-you can see the oak in the background.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Re: my week 2012

Post by J.T »

Well done on your Fish Sin, cheers for posting that mate. :)

Would you say its worth leaving the worms at home as they atract to many Eels then?
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely Sin, gets the juices flowing for this weekend. :ok:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Nice one. Only 105 days for me
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

PondPikey

Post by PondPikey »

Nice one St.John - Love the pool looking like chocolate!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

PondPikey wrote:Nice one St.John - Love the pool looking like chocolate!
Oh yeah! Might take a straw!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice write up and pictures Sin. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Very nice st.john, it must have been amazing to have seen one of the monsters!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

GarryProcter wrote:Very nice st.john, it must have been amazing to have seen one of the monsters!
It was.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I've been fortunate to fish with St John on a few occasions, and I have observed him while he estimated the size of fish in water, and I would say that he errs very slightly on the cautious side. Therefore, if the man says he saw a chunky 3ft 6inch long common in Redmire, last week, then he saw it...
Nuff said. :thumb:
It's exciting, isn't it? :D

Return to “Redmire Pool”