DAM Barter Society

The DAM Reels forum.
Barbulus
Tench

DAM Barter Society

Post by Barbulus »

Well what a great day. Visited a new syndicate water for 2020 and had a great time talking with the Owner.

Then chatting with my long time fishing buddy who said he wanted a travel Barbel rod which, by a bizarre coincidence, I said well I happen to have one that I never use and he would be welcome to it ....and then talking reels we always liked, I said I always admired DAM reels which, by coincidence, he then said he happened to have one which he never used and ... "voila" ... no money exchanged hands and we both got what we were looking for. The God's smiled today ..... a DAM 331 S; absolutely superb reel. Late 1960's I think ? It'll sit well on a MKiV kit rod I have just tidied up for the new Season with a quill float against some reeds ..... :Cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: DAM Barter Society

Post by Pallenpool »

Classic reel - I do like it when a plan comes together and what I like just that little bit more is when I had no idea a plan was coming my way.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Top kit! Can't beat them. Grease the bearings!

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Barbulus wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 pm Well what a great day. Visited a new syndicate water for 2020 and had a great time talking with the Owner.

Then chatting with my long time fishing buddy who said he wanted a travel Barbel rod which, by a bizarre coincidence, I said well I happen to have one that I never use and he would be welcome to it ....and then talking reels we always liked, I said I always admired DAM reels which, by coincidence, he then said he happened to have one which he never used and ... "voila" ... no money exchanged hands and we both got what we were looking for. The God's smiled today ..... a DAM 331 S; absolutely superb reel. Late 1960's I think ? It'll sit well on a MKiV kit rod I have just tidied up for the new Season with a quill float against some reeds ..... :Cool:
Reeds, or reeds and lilies on a large piece of natural water :whistle:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Looks like an earlier 330, rather than a 331.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well reeds and and lily pads .... still thinking about that ! Ha Ha ! I'll need a couple of landing nets though .... :Ok:

Anyway, to the point on which model DAM, the following might clarify ? Hopefully ..... even though the photo is slightly upside down ... but it should be clear .... :Hat:
DAM 331 S (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Well, that clarifies it! ...ApoIogies, I was confusing the 1 with an N (for New (Neu)) the later version). Doesn't the S signify the high speed (particularly desirable) version?

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well I don't know absolutely but am indeed led to understand that the 331 S is a particularly desirable version although I appreciate that is also a little subjective. However, it is a quicker retrieve than the norm. and is, as with so many DAM's, an absolutely brilliant reel. Superb engineering ... reminds me of Porsche !

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was told, but can't confirm, that the reel had no gussett between main body stem and rotor back area only in 1970. Somewhere there is a German site with all the details.....

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Nobby wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 pm I was told, but can't confirm, that the reel had no gussett between main body stem and rotor back area only in 1970. Somewhere there is a German site with all the details.....
http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/rollendam3.html

This might be the site, Nobby.

Return to “DAM Reels”