Fishermans Handbook

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Splitcaner
Ruffe

Fishermans Handbook

Post by Splitcaner »

Hi does anybody remember the Fishermans Handbook printed by Marshall Cavendish. I have been given a large batch of them, I have kept some but have 32 spare. They were printed around the late 70s so I imagine a lot of the stuff in them could be classed as traditional. Anyway I am going to the fishing fair in Redditch so if anyone wants them please message me and I will bring them with me. Many thanks John. PS I have some other books I may bring too.

Cane
Grayling

Re: Fishermans Handbook

Post by Cane »

I have the set and very good they are too. Definitely worth a read.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

I have two sets in the hard back folder they provided too. I used to flick thru them regularly when younger. Great learnings there at the time. All in a plastic crate together with 1970's bite indicators, Au Lion D'or hook packets and Mitchells, old daiwas, monkey climbers and all the rest of the 1970's stuff ......... it might get an airing one day there again there are a few plastic crates .........

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Yes. I have the two sets in their plastic folders and the advanced set loose. I used to get them weekly in the 70s.
A real mine of information.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My set has 3 folders... I think it was an advanced group that came after the main publication
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Found mine, a complete set bound in two folders, in a jumble sale, and cost me a whopping 50p. Every now and again they're referred to.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Santiago wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am Found mine, a complete set bound in two folders, in a jumble sale, and cost me a whopping 50p. Every now and again they're referred to.
Same with me but found at bootfairs and charity shops for next to nothing. I can never leave a bargain behind so have given spare folders full to others who show an interest. :Hat:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I collected them as they came out. I still have them and refer to them from time to time. A good reference guide
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

There's a full set with binders on t,heBay with a couple of days left on the auction, decent start price as well....

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A splendid and underrated publication ... with a list of contributors beyond parallel :-

"Many good authors contributed to this series, including: Frank Guttfield, Graham Marsden, Harvey Torbett, Paul Saunders, Alwyne Wheeler, Fred J. Taylor, Des Brennan, Richard Walker, Kevin Clifford, John Wilson, John Bailey, Barrie Rickards, Neville Fickling, and many, many more."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”