Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

There seems to be more and more fisheries installing wooden platforms in place of natural pegs, this not only amplifies any slight noise like a stack of Marshall JTM's, but most annoyingly it makes my rod rests redundant.
So I am now in the process of making a pair of traditional rod rests for use on todays wooden platforms. This is where I am up to, more pictures when finished.
IMG_20210502_120051_resize_29.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Post by Mark »

Very nice BB.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Looking great :Thumb: Are these to go on a g clamp, tripod or bar rest of sorts BB?

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Liphook wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:12 am Looking great :Thumb: Are these to go on a g clamp, tripod or bar rest of sorts BB?
Just a simple piece of 6in wide wood, the front rest base will be 6x6, the rear rest base will be 6x8 as the rest itself will be at a angle. The rests will be fixed into the base permanently in the mk1 version, but hopefully if they work OK I will get some bits together to make a mk2 version that will come apart for ease of carrying.

Thanks
BB

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Paul, One of the places I fish has lots of platforms.I dont like the things much but I suppose they do save the banks from being damaged.

I made a set of these some time ago, not very traditional in as much as I used some stainless extending rests, they serve the purpose well enough.The stainless tube just goes through a hole in the wood and comes out for transport, so they collapse. down small enough to get into my bag.

I used a “Vine Eye” to screw the rest to the platform, so they are very stable, they can be fastened as in the photo,projecting over the side of the platform, or flat on the platform surface , the tube then stands upright in the wooden block on the end,nobody yet has complained about the small hole the screw makes.

I have since made some more “traditional “ looking V shaped tops for them...

Image.

I seem to also remember somebody on here making a clamp type rest that gripped the edge of the platform, as I cannot weld that was not an option for me, or I would probably have gone down that route instead.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

They look very tidy David, I can't weld either, but I do it anyway and just grind down the mess until it looks barely acceptable. I wanted to just use traditional materials for these rests if at all possible so that when I do accidentally kick the front rest into the water (as I surely will) I can hopefully fish it out again.

Thanks
BB

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A wooden rod pod? Collapsible - no screwing to the platform (several local commercial fisheries demand that) - old sea rods (cane/solid glass?) made into long rod rests for use next to the platform - ---- what more?

That's one of the 'commercials' - and a local club - "faults"! Nice for the 100s of seatbox users! No natural banks. I prefer the old 'dugouts' to platforms.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

This is my way around fishing of wood platforms, concrete or stoney ground.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A lovely looking bit of kit!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Very nice there Fred....

Thanks