Eureka 4" with strange fitting

The Hardy Reels forum.
OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Eureka 4" with strange fitting

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I have got a rather strange Hardy Eureka 4". Pre-war with lever check. However it also has an adjustable tension for the check. It has a knob on the backplate and internally a five position plate to give five strengths of tension on the check spring.
It certainly appears to be a factory modification.
Never seen anything like this before.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Eureka 4" with strange fitting

Post by Lea Dweller »

I do not have much knowledge of the Hardy Eureka models, but what you have seems to be a bit special. As you say, It seems to combine the rim lever check with a rear mounted check 'tension adjuster' knob. I have certainly not seen another, but hopefully someone will fill in the gaps in my knowledge! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

In his book "Hardy Brothers. The Masters, The Men, The Reels," John Drewett gives an illustration of a 2nd. model 1930 3 1/2 inch Eureka. I can only imagine that yours can be a 'customer special' order, or a very proficient modification by the owner. Don't shout too much ... or everyone will want one !!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Another gap in my knowledge is the different pattern of holes on the Eureka models. Some have a uniform two rows of holes, but others have more? Over to you Mal! :Hat:
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:35 pm Another gap in my knowledge is the different pattern of holes on the Eureka models. Some have a uniform two rows of holes, but others have more? Over to you Mal! :Hat:
My experience is limited the the post war models, Sir (I have 3 1/2 and 4 inch models).
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

:Ok,, perhaps someone else can enlighten us both? :Hat:
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There was a similar thing on ebay a few years ago but the cam was "coin" adjusted from the inside of the reel only.

I think this one is probably a home made improvement by an engineer as Hardys would almost certainly have indicated on the adjustment knob which way was more or less tension or maybe 1-2-3-4-5 and have stamped a nice datum on the backplate.
Imagine the watermole version.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thanks Wal, can you clarify my query about the different hole configurations on some Eureka's? I am assuming the one's with additional holes (other than the two uniform rows) cannot all be 'home made' ?
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Back to Mr. Drewitt for enlightenment ... "When studying the artist's impression in the 1913 catalogue, the overall impression is that the Eureka bears more than a passing resemblance to a piece of Gruyère cheese, it being positively covered with holes which were drilled to lighten the overall weight of the drum, However, Hardy's passion was tempered on the production reels by a prudent need for some degree of strength and 52 holes were subsequently drilled in the face instead of the 92 illustrated."

The 'improved model' of 1924 retained the same number and pattern, though some of the inner holes were drilled wider, presumable on a weight gaining mission again. The post 1953 to 1956 3 1/2 inch model (with the rotating ratchet knob on the back) retained the 52 hole pattern, with all the holes of the same diameter ...

... while the 4 inch model had 38 holes drilled in two circles ...

That's as much as I know ... up to now.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 1913 catalogue illustration of 92 holes !!! Note the even back flange of the drum has been drilled !!!

Return to “Hardy Reels”