Hardy Silex?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Hardy Silex?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All,
I'm wondering if anyone uses a Hardy Silex, and if so, uses, pros and cons? I'm interested as Skene Dhu recommended it as an excellent Mahseer reel in The Angler in India - 3rd Edition, 1923 (nice Xmas present off Mrs Cat).
Regards Cat

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Hardy Silex?

Post by Paul F »

I use silex for barbel, chub, pike, I also have a tiny 3 1/4 I use for light trotting.
The 1st model circa 1889-1911 spin freely, as do the later super silex circa 1930-58, all the models in between have a permanent drag/brake, so do not spin so freely.
One problem, is they are mostly RHW, the1st model is a caged reel, so more difficult to cast with, super silex although caged, it has the spool rim on the outside of the cage, so you can brake on the spool with your hand
4" 1st model I use for barbel & Pike

4" super silex lhw, I use it for trotting the wrong way round, as a free running reel, but you can't put it in a rest as it is wrong way for the ratchet!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks Paul,
Excellent advice and information...much appreciated. Has your 1st model a factory cut away section?
Cat

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Cat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:05 pm Thanks Paul,
Excellent advice and information...much appreciated. Has your 1st model a factory cut away section?
Cat
Yes, they all have the 1/4 cut away, when you use it in wrong lhw, the cut away is perfect for thumb breaking

Inside workings, top of photo is the ratchet pawl, right is the brake lever and brake tension screw, with the screw wound off, you have a free running reel.

What sort of fishing was you thinking for a silex?
Last edited by Paul F on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Top left 4" circa 1899, 4" circa 1905, rare 3 1/4 only made in 1904-05, bottom left 4" super silex circa 1950, rare 3" super silex circa 1929-39

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks for the photos Paul...definitely demands more research on my behalf.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I have a lhw 2nd model

Hyrsch
Minnow

Post by Hyrsch »

I own a Silex No.2 without the cutaway.
I haven’t been able to fish it, yet.
So I have to say I am bit concerned about two possibly simple things, at least to the experienced angler.
The two things being:

1. How would I cast the thing correctly?

There is the lever for the deceleration if the spool after launching the bait. I have to keep in a position which allows for the free spin of the spool. If I pull it to hard, it will slow the bait too early. If I don’t pull hard enough, the ratchet will kick in and spoil the throw.
I don’t suppose that there is some type of Wallis Cast that would work on the reel, like the ones I know from the Centrepin!?

2. If there ever should be a bite, how do I properly play the fish without breaking my fingers on the handles, as there is no rim to briefly give in or increase the resistance with my fingertips!?

I am an accomplished bait casting angler, but I don’t really see a way to properly use my fingers against the line on the spool or something like that.

I would really appreciate some tips of those fishing with a Silex No.2 or similar.

Best regards
Hyrsch
To fish is to live, it’s as simple as that!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Hyrsch,
Good questions that I can't answer as I don't own a Silex. Let's hope for knowledgeable answers.
Regards Cat

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Hyrsch wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:16 pm I own a Silex No.2 without the cutaway.
I haven’t been able to fish it, yet.
So I have to say I am bit concerned about two possibly simple things, at least to the experienced angler.
The two things being:

1. How would I cast the thing correctly?

There is the lever for the deceleration if the spool after launching the bait. I have to keep in a position which allows for the free spin of the spool. If I pull it to hard, it will slow the bait too early. If I don’t pull hard enough, the ratchet will kick in and spoil the throw.
I don’t suppose that there is some type of Wallis Cast that would work on the reel, like the ones I know from the Centrepin!?

2. If there ever should be a bite, how do I properly play the fish without breaking my fingers on the handles, as there is no rim to briefly give in or increase the resistance with my fingertips!?

I am an accomplished bait casting angler, but I don’t really see a way to properly use my fingers against the line on the spool or something like that.

I would really appreciate some tips of those fishing with a Silex No.2 or similar.

Best regards
Hyrsch
Well, as you probably know, the Silex reels were designed for casting heavy lures straight off the reel using a double handed spinning rod.
To use for bottom fishing will require some creative thinking and maybe slight modifications.
The first model mentioned above has a lever which either connects the drum to the mechanism or when off, gives free spool. A separate sliding catch puts the check on or off for either direction.
The No.2, Major or Super Silexes could be used with handles facing to the left, but to enable a fish to take line against the check would require the line coming off the top of the reel. Many centrepin users prefer this method anyway.
Casting could be performed using the lever to put the reel in free spool but Wallis casting would require the line rubbing against the cage cross member.

Return to “Hardy Reels”