Abu Ambassadeur & Cardinal Reels

The ABU Reels forum.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Abu Ambassadeur & Cardinal Reels

Post by Phil Arnott »

I was just going through some of my old catalogues and came across these advertising leaflets which I though are quite nice. These are the front and back shots and the leaflets are about a2 size.

Ally
Silver Bream

Re: Abu Ambassadeur & Cardinal Reels

Post by Ally »

Used to do a lot of window shopping with catalogues. Threw them away long ago Im afraid

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Ally wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:55 pm Used to do a lot of window shopping with catalogues. Threw them away long ago Im afraid
Big mistake - ABU's from the 70's and 80's fetch £10+.

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Very nice! The Cardinal has always been my favourite reel possibly even my favourite item of fishing tackle?

I have always liked the Ambassadeurs as well and am often tempted when I see a nice red one in those lovely cases they came in. If only I had a need for a multiplier. :fingertap:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Phil Arnott wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:03 pm
Ally wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:55 pm Used to do a lot of window shopping with catalogues. Threw them away long ago Im afraid
Big mistake - ABU's from the 70's and 80's fetch £10+.
Ah well, £10 doesnt go far these days

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Very nice leaflets Phil.ABU marketing material was/is always well produced with superb colour,I loved the customer catches in the Tight Lines catalogues.
My favourite ABU multiplier is the 5000C,which i used with a Hardy The Spinning split cane rod.A lovely combination and a real pleasure to use.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

The Tight Lines catalogues were excellent.The range of lures etc was huge.I have two Ambassadeur's,both left hand wind.A 6501 C3 used for Piking and beachcasting and a red 7001 used for boat fishing.Both made in Sweden and superbly engineered.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Ally wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm Ah well, £10 doesnt go far these days
No but I've got 11 of them!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely collection and brings back some great memories.

I’ve been lucky enough to have a few Ambassadeurs and Cardinals over the years but my pick of the lot was the Amabassadeur 12. I did a lot of boat fishing off the coast of North Wales for Rays, Tope etc. and West Coast of Scotland for Cod, Coley and Pollack in the 1970s and early 1980s. The 12 was by far the most capable reel I ever used, also rugged and pretty much bullet proof.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Thanks for that Phil, it prompted me to look at the ABU 12. I checked through my old ABU Tightlines and it appears that the ABU 12, 20, and 30 came out in 1978. This indicates that the leaflets are dated around 1978 as they are stated as being new models.

Return to “ABU Reels”