Butt ring - a little advice please.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Butt ring - a little advice please.

Post by Silfield »

I am in the process of reconditioning a J A Walker salmon spinning rod that I hope to use for pike fishing and am a bit stuck on what size butt ring to fit? It is a shade over 10' and the action is similar to an LRH 3 so quite a beast.
It will predominantly be used with either an Allcocks C815, a Mordex Merlin or, if a bit of distance is called for, a Mitchell 410.
Below are the choices that I have, the smaller lined ring being 20mm od and the largest 30mm od.
I was surprised that this rod only had 5 rings (+ tip) so shall add one extra.

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Re: Butt ring - a little advice please.

Post by Barbelbonce »

This sounds like an excellent project, Silfield. I offer my opinion, only; based entirely on what I would do and it is in no way prescriptive. Every man has his own opinions, ideas and wishes.

In the days of JA Walker, salmon spinning rod (and pike rod) rings were a lot smaller than the diameters that we have grown accustomed to. Particularly the internal diameters: heavy NS frames and very heavy (thick) agate linings leading to a huge difference between ODs and IDs.
Your ref. to ODs: are these the ODs of the chromed frame rings or the ODs of the linings?

I am happy using a smaller butt ring on cane and will not be persuaded by reading about 50mm butt rings on black rods allegedly designed to cater for the line whipping off giant big pit reels, powered by 4oz+ leads! This idea should not insinuate into our thinking when "re-doing" old cane, at all, to any degree.
Is the rod to be purely a practical, powerful "user" (appearance not too high on your agenda) or do you want to achieve a level of look and finish above the every-day?

The braced wire rings: I think these look like they were destined for sea rods: I have glass sea rods with these rings. They will stand a long way off the blank. Will they look right on the JAW blank? And they're HUGE. (New rod bag, please!).

The 30mm od lined ring looks like Seymo Hardlon (very dark brown/grey/black) or is my screen colour/eyesight failing me? Ideally, with this ring, you'd have a Hardlon tip ring. It is also pretty big. I have some for use on old glass re-furbs, but I'm not brave enough to use them on cane......yet!

The 20mm od size of agatine-lined ring will well accommodate line coming off a 410 (and, of course, a 'pin); it is the size I have used on all my Ch500, and 550 re-builds. I use a pin, a 300 or a 410 and I do not chuck heavy baits 120 yards, natch!
Please let us know how you get on!
All the best,
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Personally I would use an LRH 2 or 3 to copy for the ring sizes - or use one size larger throughout.

I have several LRH 2s - some have a single replacement agatine butt ring of about 25mmOD.

The tip section has 5 rings and a tip ring. The largest on the tip section is nearest the ferrule of course and has an ID of 5mm (OD 12mm) with the next 4 reducing in size to the tip. These are much much smaller than what is now usually used on modern spinning/carp rods so an increase in size would not look out of place.

The chrome rings pictured were used more on glass spinning rods than cane - I have a couple of sets somewhere. I think they are still available from H & H - Guides & Blanks. A look at them. inc Seymo Hardlon, shows sets of rings suitable for cane - however some rings, Fuji, do look really out of place!

Like Mike above I much prefer a cane rod to look like a cane rod rather than a cane copy of a c****n one! The only exception perhaps being Hexagraph!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you both for your valued opinions, it has certainly got me thinking if what I have available is suitable. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a set of low bridge rings instead?
Ideally I would like the rod to be a user but still look to have a modicum of age and authenticity if that is possible?
My original post, after re-reading a couple of times, may have been a bit ambiguous re the ring diameters-trying to do this posting on my phone with kids and dogs running around winding each other up! The sizes stated were relating to the three rings on the left and are the od of the wire frame, apologies for including the intermediates and tip ring in the photo, they were there just for comparison and range in size from 13mm od of frame down to 10mm od of frame.
I have found another unlined butt bridge ring of a smaller stature which has an od of 16mm, its shown below with the original agate rings, of which a couple are cracked and grooved so not really usable.
Regards
Ian

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

For pin/multiplier rods then butt guide size can be kept to a minimum but with fixed spool that changes obviously. Another option is to look at the SeaGuide and PacBay/American Tackle ranges. I refurbed my Chapman 550's with modern titanium finished guide sets that had brassy gold coloured inserts. They looked great in my opinion, were entirely practical and had only perhaps one 5th of the weight of Agatine (never mind real agate) lined rings. Not traditional of original perhaps but maybe food for thought?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have been tempted to use the Seymo 200-S twin leg Hardlon Guide in gold plate version - looks vintage in a way!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”