Fishing video

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
NiceRoach
Eel

Fishing video

Post by NiceRoach »

If this doesn't cheer us up, nothing will. A fishing legend in wonderful surroundings and with spring around the corner, bring it on

:tea:
niceroach

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Fishing video

Post by Mark »

A great little film well worth a watch.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.
Always been a big fan of early John Wilson.
Never been interested in his later international fishing, though.
Once, when I was much younger, I visited his tackle shop in Bridewell alley Norwich. I bought a few items of tackle and had a few words with John Wilson, but remember being quite in awe of the man.
Silly me.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I remember watching that when it was released!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Marvellous.I was an avid viewer back then.I too preferred the earlier ones set in UK waters.Thanks for posting.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

The early 'Go Fishing' VHS video's are the business, I'd rather see John in his hey day catching a 1lb Roach as opposed to any giant Mahseer.

Regards
niceroach

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

NiceRoach wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:56 am The early 'Go Fishing' VHS video's are the business, I'd rather see John in his hey day catching a 1lb Roach as opposed to any giant Mahseer.

Regards
I agree, and a Lada with a boat on the roof. :Chuckle:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Brings back many memories,great little film.

Ouse Wanderer
Bleak

Post by Ouse Wanderer »

Thanks for that reminder Nice Roach. I agree about the superiority of the home based episodes, especially the East Anglian ones, but there was one foreign escapade that fascinated me, at the time, and which I'd very much like to see again.The programme was set in Scandanavia - Sweden I think. In one section John was travelling down a major river on a raft which was large enough to contain a tent and cooking area as well as his fishing station. The raft was completely at the mercy of the currents and, as I remember it, had no engine, oars or sails. Sounds completely bonkers but Wilson seemed as happy as Larry, as usual, and no doubt caught his usual impressive array of fish. I can't even remember what he was fishing for but the image of the raft remains in my mind as sharp as a pin.
In another Scandi. episode (maybe the same programme, maybe not, gimme a break it's over thirty years since I've seen it) John is fishing in what seems to be a small lake in a urban area and catching Crucians of enormous size 2 to 3lb. and fat enough for a B. Venables print!
Anyone else remember these? It would be nice to know I didn't just dream them. If anyone has access to a secret archive and could post them I'm sure many of us would be grateful. I certainly would be.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

YouTube search - John Wilson and you can disappear for hours of fun. A lot of great oldies be Venables Walker Hargreaves and Wilson who turned video TV into an art form, are shared on TFF.

Regards
niceroach

Return to “Fishing Films”