Another question I'm afraid, Aspindale this time....

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Another question I'm afraid, Aspindale this time....

Post by Kevanf1 »

Does anybody own an Aspindale 'Colindale' or an Aspindale 'Ledgerdale'? I'd like to know a little about either rod as I'm thinking of getting a Colindale while I have a Ledgerdale in my collection. The Ledgerdale feels as though it will be a nice tench rod but not up to carp over about 8lbs.

Comments please :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Another question I'm afraid, Aspindale this time....

Post by Nobby »

I'd never heard of a Colindale( I thought it a joke as there actually IS a place called that near Hendon in North London) until I saw the two that are repeatedly offered on eBay lately. Not sure why they haven't been bought, but they've been there since early August, I think.

They would both appear to be 'late' Aspindales, due to the use of the Dalesman name and bi-colour silk, or 'twist' as it is often called.

Quite likely to have hollow-built butts as Peter Aspindale thinks all the firms rods were so built.

The very earliest rods, not these models I think, need careful inspection for signs of de-laminating.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Well, we shall see what they are like when they arrive. Yes, they as I put a low bid on both rods and got them both :) It's a gamble but such is life :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There was one in the Mullock's auction in March 2011 ... described as follows :-

"Fine Aspindale "The Colindale" 11' 3 piece whole cane roach rod with split cane tip, full professional refurbishment, high bells guides whipped green/tipped black, close whipped throughout, bronze ferrules, 17" cork handle with light alloy reel rings, fine, in MOB. Estimate: £100.00 - £150.00"

The hammer price was £150.00.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

AshbyCut wrote:There was one in the Mullock's auction in March 2011 ... described as follows :-

"Fine Aspindale "The Colindale" 11' 3 piece whole cane roach rod with split cane tip, full professional refurbishment, high bells guides whipped green/tipped black, close whipped throughout, bronze ferrules, 17" cork handle with light alloy reel rings, fine, in MOB. Estimate: £100.00 - £150.00"

The hammer price was £150.00.
Well, I have no doubt these will need some tlc. But they certainly were not anywhere near that sort of price :) In fact, the highest amount was £23 :) I'm just waiting now for the seller to get back to me with courier costs. He had stated just over £14 in earlier correspondence but that was for one single rod. I cannot see it being much more (if any) than that for the pair.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Looks like you've got a couple of Winter projects sorted out then.

May they be good 'uns.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Nobby wrote:Looks like you've got a couple of Winter projects sorted out then.

May they be good 'uns.
I'll let you all know what their true condition is once they arrive :)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Kevan,
I sold a Colindale last year, mine was a 7ft-6in spinning rod.???
A nice rod too as all Aspindale rods are, though I have had problems in the past with the hollow built butts on Severndales de-laminating. Easy enough to fix but nigh on impossible to keep all that script intact.
You should have no problems with the whole cane rods.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah...I'd rather presumed ( rarely a good idea! ) that those later Severndales..indeed any rod with 'Dalesman' on the rod rather than just the rod bag...would be made with better quality, later, glue.

Not so then, it seems?

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

These two seem to be ok... but I do have my fingers well and truly crossed :)

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”