1930s Wallis Wizard

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: 1930s Wallis Wizard

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having read your comments and seen the pictures, my first thought is that you SHOULD attempt the restoration yourself! I will leave it for others to comment, but I fear that a 'sympathetic restoration' and resolving the damage to the tip section would involve considerable cost! At least if you do the work yourself, you can decide how far you want to go with the restoration? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I would suggest that you speak to Andrew Davis (AJD) from Long Eaton (who posts on here as 'James' I think) and who regularly attends the Redditch Tackle Fair. Not only does Andrew build and sell excellent new cane rods he also restores old cane rods and has looked after many of my old cane rods which I continue to use with confidence. A 1930s Allcocks Wallis Wizard is a very fine rod and deserves restoration and use. In the first instant I would suggest you speak to Andrew Davis which would at least set out a few options and give you some idea of cost.

I wish you all the best with the rod and perhaps you could keep us informed on what you decide to do.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

A lovely rod, and well worth restoring. I have restored two of these early Wizards, and built a new replica. All were lovely rods to use, and much nicer than the later versions. PM sent.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Rod Fisher wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:25 pm Having read your comments and seen the pictures, my first thought is that you SHOULD attempt the restoration yourself! I will leave it for others to comment, but I fear that a 'sympathetic restoration' and resolving the damage to the tip section would involve considerable cost! At least if you do the work yourself, you can decide how far you want to go with the restoration? :Hat:
Good points. I would have assumed that there would be a discussion with the restorer around the expectations before work starts.
PershoreHarrier wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:51 pm I would suggest that you speak to Andrew Davis (AJD) from Long Eaton (who posts on here as 'James' I think) and who regularly attends the Redditch Tackle Fair. Not only does Andrew build and sell excellent new cane rods he also restores old cane rods and has looked after many of my old cane rods which I continue to use with confidence. A 1930s Allcocks Wallis Wizard is a very fine rod and deserves restoration and use. In the first instant I would suggest you speak to Andrew Davis which would at least set out a few options and give you some idea of cost.

I wish you all the best with the rod and perhaps you could keep us informed on what you decide to do.
Thank you. He was the first person I contacted, and declined due to workload.
That's a pity as he is certainly up there with the very best. I have a 1930s Allcocks green Wallis Wizard which was restored by Jason White and an excellent job he made of it - perhaps you could ask him?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There is always Steve Boncey?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I would contact Paul Cook who is in Norfolk these days.

http://artofangling.net/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Rod you must be delighted by that excellent work by Crucian! Restored beautifully :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wonderful transformations Rod, three great rods brought back to life.

Well done on the work Paul, lovely jobs all of them.

Wal.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

They look amazing, well done to both you & crucian.

I hope you can get to use them for a re-christening 👍

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Fabulous job well done both

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”