slightly puzzled but hey i'm a beginner

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Bjp
Chub

slightly puzzled but hey i'm a beginner

Post by Bjp »

i was looking at this listing on that well known auction site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-JAMES-SON-R ... 3ccb785734

i assume that it is one of the carp rod versions not the avon but if it is exactly 10ft then am i right that it is two inches short also why would you have two different top sections with different thickness and eye locations is one top the stepped up version and one standard? any views gentlemen

regards

bjp

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: slightly puzzled but hey i'm a beginner

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Firstly, the length quoted is almost certainly what is actually written on the rod and relates to the generally accepted length of a MkIV; the fact that most B James examples actually come out a little longer is a peculiarity of that brand. I have two B James MkIVs, both about 2 inches over ten feet, whereas my Constable Forty Fore is ten feet exactly, as is my Southwell, but my J.B.Walker MkIV Avon is ten feet four inches - yet both MkIV and Avon are generally considered ten footers. I don't think this one is missing anything - both tips look the same and are the correct amount shorter than the butt.

As for the two tips; whilst it's possible it was a special order, I think it more likely that one of the tips is from another MkIV - probably a later model (the sixties rods are noticeably thicker than the fifties ones and the ring spacing changed slightly). As the butt section looks like a late fifties model it may well be that it has the original tip plus one from a sixties example. The ferrules were stock size for each model so only a carp top would fit the carp butt, unless the ferrule has been changed.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I'd go with the custom built extra tip line of thinking, I have done that with one of my custom built rods, one top is a Fred j Taylor roach rod top and the second is a mk4 Avon top to cope with heavier flow on the river, in snaggier swims etc. not uncommon in the fly fishing world to have multiple tip sections, maybe the original owner came to course fishing from fly and applied the same logic.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

just heard back from the seller

"hi there i am led to believe from my farher who brought the rod that one end is for short casting and the other for long casting looking at the ends myself and i am no fisherman it looks like me that the end with no marks on is much the same color and bindings as the main piece i hope this is ok for you"

i think you guys are nearer the mark.

regards

bjp

Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Be carefull! I came across this very same rod a few months ago on Ebay and was send some more pictures by Email - one tip section is heavely dammaged (varnish and rings), the other tip section has a deep set (bend)...

Leon

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Leon Hoogendijk wrote:Be carefull! I came across this very same rod a few months ago on Ebay and was send some more pictures by Email - one tip section is heavely dammaged (varnish and rings), the other tip section has a deep set (bend)...

Leon
thank you for that i have also asked for additional pics because like you say there does seem to be a set in one section and i know there is damage to the other one, he has stated that much.

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too recall that rod selling only a month or so back on eBay.

Yet there is no record of the sale in the current seller's feedback.

Unless he is prepared to accept returns, you might be looking at £100 for a new tip, plus all the work to whip and ferrule it..........

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

thanks nobby i already may have that to do regarding my fathers mk1v avon so don't want to go there twice but i have my heart set on a b.james/walker mk1v carp rod leaving ebay aside can you fellas give me a guide as to how much i would expect to have to pay for the following and in your opinion what would be the best option to look for

original rod but needing work
original rod in good fishable condition
original rod in mint (if one still available)
refurbered rod ready to go

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I suspect it's all down to luck. I still haven't found I one I like that I can afford....maybe one day.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

bjp wrote:thanks nobby i already may have that to do regarding my fathers mk1v avon so don't want to go there twice but i have my heart set on a b.james/walker mk1v carp rod leaving ebay aside can you fellas give me a guide as to how much i would expect to have to pay for the following and in your opinion what would be the best option to look for

original rod but needing work
original rod in good fishable condition
original rod in mint (if one still available)
refurbered rod ready to go

regards

bjp
Have a look here 3 for sale £295 each
http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id36.html
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”