I have been busy

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Iasgair
Chub

I have been busy

Post by Iasgair »

The other night I was tying up some Rio Grande Kings for the up coming fly tying exhibit and what I was doing was tying both versions, the wet and the Trude style because I have fallen in love with this pattern and I want people to see both patterns because if I had two flies to fish with, it would be these two flies. The wet fly would be fished early mornings and evenings because the wings really show up. The Trude, being a dry fly version can be fished the rest of the day, so all in all, I'm covered. But something on the distant horizon is coming and I will explain what I mean by that in a minute.

So to give you all visuals, here are the two flies mentioned.

So I was thinking; what would make the Trude float better? I though ostrich herl, so I tied up a Trude and used the ostrich for the body instead of chenille. Then I got a small glass of water and gently dropped it in the glass and saw that the back end of the fly sink like a Klinkhammer. That to me was interesting. I then took a normal Rio Grand King Trude with Chenille and dropped it in the water and it floated beautifully.
So then I tied a wet fly version with ostrich and the fly just sank like a stone. So I found out that ostrich herl is not the way to go for a dry fly, at least this fly, but the fly where the back end sank got me to thinking, and this is where something on the distant horizon is coming. I will order some Klinkhammer hooks and tie the Rio Grande King in a Klinkhammer style. I am really excited about this and can't wait to try it out this year.

Now it just came to mind; what if I did use ostrich for the body and then palmered some hackle down the body? :idea: I think I may have something there.

So as soon as I get the hooks I will tie one up, and if it looks good to me, I will post it and I will also let you know how the palmered hackled Trude fly comes out.

Stay tuned. . . .
Last edited by Iasgair on Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: I have ben busy

Post by Dave F »

I know nothing about flies, but it sounds like a very good idea. Good luck… :fishing2:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Re: I have ben busy

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Oh, thr glory of fly-tying! There`s no end to the opportunities for exploration...explains why I have way too many flies which may never be fished!!

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Fly Tying”