Glued-in grubscrew

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Glued-in grubscrew

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Hello Folks,

I’ve recently purchased a lovely J W Young true-pin reel. It arrived on Sunday and I christened it yesterday. Very happy with the reel, but why do they need to glue the grub-screw in? After my session I merrily set about cleaning and oiling my new piece, but when I went to pop the grub out to clean etc the screwdriver mashed the head of the screw. Spoke to Chris Miles today and it’s gone back for a new (unglued) screw.

Can’t understand why they’d do this given the importance of needing to adjust float, clean, fettle etc.

Anyone else been baffled by this or have a good idea why they have adopted this practise?
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Glued-in grubscrew

Post by Paul F »

It is a bit of a pain, but better than it falling out on the river bank.
Just slightly warm it with a lighter, and it will come out easy.

No need to remove it really though, just clean inside the bush with a cotton bud, you can use a little Swan lighter petrol if it is really oilily

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Never heard of a grub screw falling out! I’m pretty sure I’d notice the end float getting a bit flabby well before it fell out.
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

The grub screw is set in (glued) usually with ‘Loctite’ for a purpose…to prevent it being unnecessarily being tampered with!

This screw determines the ‘end float’, that is the amount of free movement of the line drum. If the screw is too loose, it will usually not do any harm but will cause a little rattle and possibly may cause the drum to foul the backplate.

On the other hand, if the screw is set too tight, it will cause friction and bind between the locking fork and the groove in the spindle which will cause rapid wear and inevitably reduce performance and shorten the reel life.

This screw adjustment is precisely set at the factory when new and should only need adjustment after many years of use-if ever!
It was never intended to be used as a friction brake or to be interfered with, hence being set with ‘glue’.

Let’s hope that it will be ok now..
Last edited by Watermole+ on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Had they picked up the wrong Loctite? A tiny smidge of the lightest thread lock I could understand, but I find it bizarre that it was glued in hard :roll:

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Good old Locktite Blue 242 - many happy memories of using the stuff

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Don’t think Garry Mills glues his in, at least not the reels I’ve had him service.

Bernard Venables

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:03 pm The grub screw is set in (glued) usually with ‘Loctite’ for a purpose…to prevent it being unnecessarily being tampered with!

This screw determines the ‘end float’, that is the amount of free movement of the line drum. If the screw is too loose, it will usually not do any harm but will cause a little rattle and possibly may cause the drum to foul the backplate.

On the other hand, if the screw is set too tight, it will cause friction and bind between the locking fork and the groove in the spindle which will cause rapid wear and inevitably reduce performance and shorten the reel life.

This screw adjustment is precisely set at the factory when new and should only need adjustment after many years of use-if ever!
It was never intended to be used as a friction brake or to be interfered with, hence being set with ‘glue’.

Let’s hope that it will be ok now..
I get that it’s not a friction brake Watermole, but as much as there might be ideal factory settings, I’d prefer to set up my reel as I like it.

Bernard Venables

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I have a screw loose. Should I be using Loctite? My wife says I'm beyond help but I'm just wondering...
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

MWithell wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:22 pm I have a screw loose. Should I be using Loctite? My wife says I'm beyond help but I'm just wondering...
:eyebrow: :Hahaha:

Bernard Venables

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”