SHORE FISHING WITH ANTHONY PEARSON - Bass and Surf in the 60's

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Simon F
Ruffe

SHORE FISHING WITH ANTHONY PEARSON - Bass and Surf in the 60's

Post by Simon F »

A new collection of his newspaper and magazine articles.

SHORE FISHING WITH ANTHONY PEARSON: A collection of Pearson's articles on shore fishing from 1964-1974. Edited and introduced by Richard Baker. 2023 1st edition. 8vo paperback with flaps (156 x 234mm). Pp477. b/w photographs. Edition limited to 250 numbered copies, each with a label signed by the editor.

A collection of over one hundred of this renowned writer's articles on shore fishing from 1964 to 1974, taken from his regular columns in the Guardian newspaper, and Fishing and Angling magazines. Richard Baker, has written an introduction to Pearson and his fishing, along with a critical consideration of his work and life. The heftiest monograph by far - so far! Nearly 500 pages and most of it consists of shore fishing articles by Anthony Pearson that you will not have seen before.

Printed by Coch Y Bonddu books, Currently I’m really enjoying reading this book and am now about halfway through. It is a great book for dipping in and out of being articles from Newspapers and Magazines. It really is fascinating to start to follow his thinking and understand exactly how the forefront of beach fishing was at a time when I was just starting out as a very small child fishing Llandanwg beach and the Arto estuary ( Lagoon) in North Wales myself.

Off course a little of the “Pearson” filter* needs to be applied, and the text notes by Richard Baker are always interesting.

I strongly recommend this as a very interesting and enjoyable read. Both for tips, a historical perspective and an insight into a man who was obviously a very complex character.

*It is believed by many that he might have embellished a little, though he was without doubt a very accomplished angler.
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Crucian
Eel

Re: SHORE FISHING WITH ANTHONY PEARSON - Bass and Surf in the 60's

Post by Crucian »

Sounds a very interesting book, would you possibly have a link please, to where it can be purchased? Thanks for posting.

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

https://www.anglebooks.com/shore-fishin ... -angl.html

That should work, I have no link with Coch-Y-Bonddu books except that I spend far to much money with them,,,

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Simon F wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:05 am https://www.anglebooks.com/shore-fishin ... -angl.html

That should work, I have no link with Coch-Y-Bonddu books except that I spend far to much money with them,,,
Thank you.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have this edition, which is a good read. I fish many of the marks he mentions and they still produce on the day, but Bass and Cod nowhere near as prolific these days as they were when the book was published in 1967. On checking , I was suprised to see that the book is selling for over £40.00 .

I was talking to our resident newshound Martin James the other day, and I mentioned Anthony Pearson, I seem to remember he knew him back in the day as they both worked as reporters.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

That is a different book, The new one is a collection of his press articles. I have both, it was the book you mention and especially his book "Fisherman" that lead to accusations of embellishment.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”