B. James Rods - Checking length

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

B. James Rods - Checking length

Post by TemeLAD »

Apologies if this is a naive question but how do you measure a rod?

When assembled is it from the tip to the butt including the rubber button?

I have seen B. James Avon & Mk 1V's quoted as being the correct length of 10' 2" but I am sure I have seen a post on this forum (damned if I can find it again) that showed an extract from a brochure/leaflet showing the rods at 10' - 10' 2" would seem an odd length to purposely design a rod to?

Elsewhere I have read that the top section when laid in parallel to the butt section and then compared against the butt section, that said tip should reach about half way up the female ferrule of the butt section.

Here's hoping that the great and the good of this forum can throw some light on the matter. Thank you.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Davyr

Re: B. James Rods - Checking length

Post by Davyr »

I may be wrong on this, but I think the 10' measurement is with the rod assembled, and 10' 2" with the two sections measured separately. And from memory, the two sections laid side by side ought to be of identical lengths, not counting the button.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Thanks Davyr much appreciated.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

HI Temelad - I would have to disagree with Davyr here: the rod should measure about (they do vary ever so slightly) 10' 2" from button end to rod tip when made up: though probably would be closer to 10ft without button as Davyr says - so Iguess it depends how you are counting! The sections are not of even length though - the tip section bein shorter as you originally state. I've never seen one with equal length sections - either an Avon or Carp.
ATB
Jim

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I stand corrected - thanks, Jim!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”