A Rash of Avocets

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

A Rash of Avocets

Post by Woodytia »

I see a few of these have emerged, just a tad maddening as I'd been after one for a while now but post Christmas funds limit my aspiration. I assume that whole cane versions were the earliest incarnation of this rod but could anyone tell me if similar rods of modern build are built to cope with heavier lines or are they made to match the original rods?

Bjp
Chub

Re: A Rash of Avocets

Post by Bjp »

can someone confirm what the length of the split cane version should be

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think they are all 11'3"

The Hampshire Sage talks of 6 variants, I recall. Basically, the older the better.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

its just that on ebay there are two, 1 x 11ft 3" & 1 x 11ft 6" and looking around the net i have seen both mentioned

regards

bjp

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

There are 11' 6" versions as well - for a long time I thought they were "wrong" but having actually seen a few now its clear that the version exists! I have one in at the moment and decided to fish it last week to see if it felt any different - no real noticeable difference to my mind, so lord knows why they bothered making them?
Jim

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

jim when you fished with it was it in rests or did you hold it and was it heavy

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, I stand corrected. I've no experience of them, bar having a wishful-waggle at tackle fairs. They are always beyond my budget.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Bjp wrote:jim when you fished with it was it in rests or did you hold it and was it heavy

regards

bjp
I fished with the rod in the rests BJP - to be honest I find the split cane Avocet (whatever length) a little too heavy to hold all day long - though the whole cane version is assuredly better at this - and tend to only hold a rod when trotting anyway (for which I use Super Wizard rather than the Avocet).
Jim

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Nobby wrote:Ah, I stand corrected. I've no experience of them, bar having a wishful-waggle at tackle fairs. They are always beyond my budget.
I know what you mean budget wise! I've only ever seen the split cane version in 11' 6" so maybe the whole cane version was only available in 11' 3"?

Jim

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I don't have the knowledge of some of you but have whole avocet at 11-3 which I rarely use but last year picked up an Ogden Smith Arun which is 11-3 and whole cane and split and have been told that Ogdens copied the tapers if they did they got it wrong thank god as this is far superior in my Bumble opinion to any avocet I have ever picked up.
Doesn't help I know but just my opinion.
Bumble

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”