An old Speedia and a modern carp

The Speedia Reels forum.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

An old Speedia and a modern carp

Post by Shaun Harrison »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCIQ6WGd ... sults_main

I hate to see myself on this as the footage was converted to widescreen which adds loads of weight to your appearance and I was already carrying over 40lb more than I do now. But hey ho - it is about the angling, in a beautiful setting and lovely methods.

The above link will take you to a short video clip I did a few years ago stalking carp with a centrepin. It was actually part of a longer Free Spirit Casting DVD but I wanted to show that casting wasn't all about hitting the horizon.

So, a bit of a mish mash between old traditional tackle and more modern gear. I do like to hear the ratchet on that Speedia scream though.

Before anyone asks why I used a lead at such close range the water I was fishing in was only inches deep, I'd had a 27lb common the previous week that had its back out of the water when it took the hook bait (bottom bait). I'd tried free lining but the carp were bumping into the line and dragging the bait into debris. The lead mean't the bait remained in place without fouling the hook point.

One of my big regrets in angling was taking my stalking rod and Speedia out of my kit on a French trip as the Land Rover was full and I had to start seeing what I could do without.

Over in France I found myself in a stalking situation and a position when I would definitely have used the short rod and pin but had to make do with my spare marker rod. To cut a long story short I hooked a carp of 54lb just a couple of feet out. Had I got the stalking rod with me it would definitely have been on that. I followed it up the same morning with a 44 and a 36.12 which would have been incredible centrepin action.

That night I slipped and broke two ribs and regretfully had to return home as I was in too much pain to play a fish. I hooked more but couldn't bend the rod enough to play them.

I have often wondered what the largest carp to be landed using a centrepin is?

Anyone know? I can't think of any as large as that one.

At the beginning of April I am returning to that pool and yes, the stalking rod and pin is definitely making the journey this time.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Re: An old Speedia and a modern carp

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Excellent stuff Shaun, looking forward to the summer now.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you for sharing that, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Have utmost respect for you Sir well done ,excellent video what more can I say . Thank you for sharing the moment with us all . Kindest regards ,Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Glad you enjoyed the video and thank you for the generous comments :Hat:

It was filmed at a water etched into Pike history, Knipton Reservoir on the Belvoir estate in Nottinghamshire just short of Lincolnshire and was where Clive Loveland caught the one time English record Pike after many of the old records had been scrapped.

Clive was fishing with the person who for many years was the face of the A.C.A. Allen Edwards, yet another true gent who used to grace the shop. In fact Clive Loveland and Allen Edwards used to come in, Allen much more frequently than Clive.

They had worked together at Cadbury's for many years before Allen took on the full time roll at the A.C.A.

Just thought I would add a little more history to the thread.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Dumpy little thing ........ so was the carp :Happy:

Lovely sequence Shaun, the old Speedia sang beautifully. I don't know the biggest carp taken on a pin but a 54 pounder will take some beating, I'd love to get back to France and have a go at a real lump on cane and pin. Maybe one day.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There are plenty of waters Dave that lend themselves to English style stalking. The water I mentioned is Island Lake. The first time I visited it I arrived in the middle of the night so simply slept under the stars and stirred at first light. One of those beautifully seemingly still mornings but the mist told a different story as it danced across the pool.

I decided to take a slow walk around. There were 3 anglers already fishing and each one was firmly tucked up in bed with tight lines out into the water.

Whilst stood in the first occupied swim after realising there would be no life from within the green 'Wendy House' for some time judging by the snoring I slowly and quietly retreated away. I had only moved a few yards when the proverbial cow fell in!

Big ripples rocked the surface as I turned to stare. I would like to say all was silent as a huge carp lifted its head and shoulders out of the water a second time but it wasn't silent. The loud snoring of a hungover carp camper accompanied it. He would be oblivious to this show and who am I to remember to tell him? His lines were out in the lake and the carp were under his lines - as they would be when tight lines are used if they can't be bothered to drift to the other end of the lake.

I completed my lap and it really looked like a stalkers paradise. None of the anglers knew I had been for I got back into the Land Rover before they materialised from their little green houses and moved onto a second water I had booked for that week. I always like to have an escape plan where possible.

The second water was a story in itself but probably not one for now. It was incredibly busy, I caught a carp far larger than I had expected to so then decided to leave and move back to Island Lake.

Suffice to say after spotting a carp fizzing I scattered what was little more than dust to the side of it comprising of finely crumbed boilie. The fizzing moved onto it. I repeated the process and the fizzing moved onto the next bit. It was so close in I didn't want to risk spooking it by picking up one of the rods already fishing and winding a bait back by it. So, the marker rod was brought into play. I wound around 30m of line on top of my marker line (as I never look after the marker line as I never fish with it) then carefully lowered my bait in followed by another handfull of dust just to the side of the fizzing. I didn't have to wait too long before the fizzing started getting closer and closer to my hookbait.

Suddenly the water bulged and the clutch screamed as I grabbed hold of the rod putting on the breaks with the regimental strike and hold. I will never forget that moment as the 2nd 50lb plus carp back I had hooked in as many days from different waters lifted out of the water just feet from me before a furious splash of the tail sprayed the bank and accelerated the carp into the pool. The fight was hectic, I knew I only had a little bit of decent line I could rely on, there were lots of weed beds around and I knew how big the fish was that I was attached to as I had seen it so close. Now you imagine playing a carp that looked like it was 50-60lb on a marker rod with hardly any decent line. It was definitely a case of wishing I was wearing brown corduroys!

Well the result was the fish in the picture above. I hadn't stalked it in the red shirt I had done my journalistic thing and put a photo friendly shirt on for the pictures as I knew I would no doubt be relaying the story of two 54lb carp from 2 waters in two days a few times over the years to come.

I was the only one on the lake when I caught that and another couple of big fish so had to do the self photography bit which I think came out quite well - I'm certainly glad I changed the shirt as the green one I was wearing I left on whilst picturing a 40 shortly afterwards and the fish just melts in not standing out at all. I guess a traditional check shirt would have been nice too. Perhaps next time.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Hey how on earth did you slip and break your ribs Shaun , must have been bad for you to decide to come home . Regards Woolly Bear . :shocked: :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Great account Shaun, I was right there with you. I suppose the broken ribs came from doing all those cartwheels around the lake :Chuckle:

I haven't done much lake fishing in France, I've got a bee in my bonnet about the rivers and have had carp to 30lb which I know is only small beer but still good fun. I have one little underfished river earmarked that produces lean mean fighting commons, I've had doubles but my lad lost a proper lump one night and a friend of a friend who lives nearby has had them to 48lbs. Its not stalking per se but dropping a bait under the rod top works well and is ideal for my stepped up MKIV and a pin :Wink: One day.... one day.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Hi Wolly Bear,

I was angling from a steep bank and due to the nature of the bank and the obvious closeness of the carp I had set up for the night on a flat bit slightly set back. I had positioned my rods either side of the swim rather than together so there wasn't too much line in one place. There was a small worn track to both sides of the swim which made it safe to get to the rods fast.

I was sat full of anticipation. A good fish had risen from the water and fallen heavily back on its side right over where one of my hook baits sat waiting. The atmosphere was electric, I really felt like I was in the starting blocks of the 100m waiting for the signal to spring into action and hardly daring to move. It was obvious from the fish I had stalked from this margin that the big fish were here.

Suddenly one of my bobbins slammed into the butt of the left hand rod, I was on it in an instant only to see the indicator drop back down again - a liner. I sat crouched by the rod hoping I'd not spooked whatever had swum into the line. It was one of those dark nights that simply felt so special. I have spent thousands of nights outdoors but once in a while I get a night like this where I can't stop looking around and grinning to myself.

I was sat on the ground willing the indicator to signal a carp had taken the bait rather than bumped into the line when suddenly the right hand rod the other side of the swim roared into life as the slack clutch purred away. Now this other rod was only about 12ft away so rather than shoot up the path and back down the other one to it I made the mistake of taking the most direct route sideways across the steep bank. A couple of steps and my feet went from under me and my full weight landed on my elbow to a sickening and searing pain. I got to the rod and bent into what felt another huge fish. I could hardly breathe and the pain from my side was excruciating and I can honestly say I was glad when the hook pulled. I left the rod where it was and staggered back up the slope and collapsed on my bed.

I couldn't get my breath, I was alone on the lake, alone in another country with a flat battery on my telephone. I knew the ribs were broken, that was obvious but I was deeply worried I had punctured a lung, the breath just wouldn't come. That was one long and painful night from ecstasy to total agony. First light and it was pretty obvious I had to leave. It was all I could do just gathering my gear together. Suddenly I was in again on the rod that had produced the liner the previous night. I saw that fish and it confirmed I was on a nest of monsters. I was in agony trying to play it, I had to keep a fair amount of pressure on so that it didn't bury itself deep in the marginal weed. I couldn't hold it and the fish became bogged down in weed. Fortunately I retrieved my end gear eventually minus the carp. I was in no fit state to continue and reluctantly left and made the painful journey back to Calais to book a early ferry.

I'm pleased to say the lung wasn't punctured but two ribs were indeed broken and anyone who has broken ribs (I've done it twice now) will know how painful it is and there is nothing the hospital can do for you.

Herewith the answer to your question Woolly.

P.S. It isn't Dave is it who left Nott'm/Derby to move to Cornwall?

Return to “Speedia Reels”