Returned Rod.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
WildCarpFisher.

Returned Rod.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Sadly I had to return the rod I'd just brought recently and mentioned to you all! It had a very slight set in the tip, and I knew it would bug me until I got it fixed. As I spent what I thought was a very good amount for it, I had no fear in returning it.

Also I found that when I rubbed my hand over the whippings some fell apart. So it needed a refurbish in truth.

Julian
Salmon

Re: Returned Rod.

Post by Julian »

There are always some very good cane rods on Mullocks auction.
The latest one takes place this afternoon ( books) and tomorrow all day ( every thing else). About 500 or 600 lots in total.
You can bid on-line and I believe there are a few very good B.James MKIV's and MKIV Avons this time.

They are a very major and well established auction house - so I think its fair to say that the condition specification they give is going to be very accurate.

I won a bid for my B.James MK IV Avon from them in 'fine' condition - which it certainly is - I paid £160 plus commission plus postage and packing - about £230 in total. Excellent value.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

WCF,

That is a shame, I've bought a few things on ebay but I always shy away from the rods and reels.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I think WCF got the rod from a dealer SofaSurfer - its a real shame that it wasn't up to snuff, but at least they have a good returns policy. I think you are dead right for the money you paid - it should be perfect!
Jim

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Oh dear ! Mint not quite the correct flavour. How annoying to have to send it back. I shall delete them from my favourites :-(

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have often been tempted by Mullocks. Even with with the premium and delivery they do have some nice rods. I have in the past requested condition reports, which they are happy to supply. Possibly a bit late for tomorrow.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Very unfortunate WildCarp Fisher but if you are not happy with something and can return it then that has to be the best thing to do or you will forever kick yourself.

I have bought several rods from Thomas Turner most of which I have sent off to either Edward Barder in the old days or John Brough currently for restoration so that I have rods that I can use with total confidence and more importantly are fit for use for the rest of my days and beyond. Having got my rods restored before I retire means my pension payments when they arrive will not be hit by this potential expense.

The quality of a Barder or Brough restoration exceeds my capabilities by the proverbial country mile and that all aids the confidence of an average (at best) fisherman.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

W.C.F . , what a pity Sir , but on the other hand if your not satisfied with an item sold at a certain price, with faults , send it back . That's the thing you don't know until you examine it , and then usually its too late, when they stipulate NO RETURNS , I know the sinking feeling Sir . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm afraid I can't agree with Julian over Mullocks giving an accurate description. A friend put in absentee bids after getting condition reports from them and won a couple of rods for very high prices.

Both rods have soft cane tip sections that stay bent when flexed and one has very rusty rings, being a Hardy those rings are simply unobtainable now.

I'd expect Mullochs to know a rusty ring when they see it and to be experienced enough to know how important that is on a Hardy rod.

I do see how bending the tip sections of other peoples rods that they are selling might be an issue though....

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I'll let you know when I get a refund?

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”