Chapman 500 on ebay.....ungentlemanly conduct

The Chapmans Rods forum.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Chapman 500 on ebay.....ungentlemanly conduct

Post by RBTraditional »

I met up yesterday with my old mate "Sussex" Micky, float maker of some note and traditional angler on the Romney Marsh for a walk around the dykes, bird watching and pint or two in one of our usual angling haunts. We had a lovely time discussing angling adventures past and future plans for the coming season. We were in to our second pint and he mentioned that he'd had an awful experience on Ebay the previous evening.......He had bid and won a Chapman 500, he had been very much looking forward to receiving the said rod. During the evening he received a phone call from the seller, who went onto explain with apologies that he had sold the rod privately to someone else (supposedly before the auction ended) and thus Micky would not be getting the rod. As you can imagine Micky wasn't very pleased to hear this and suspected that the chap had been approached after the auction finished with a higher offer. Micky has received a refund, but the conduct of the seller I'm sure you will agree is most un gentlemanly! I informed Micky that he should report the seller to Ebay and that the seller would probably be banned, but Micky being the man he is will probably just take it on the chin. Certainly a case for the black gaff I think...............
Last edited by RBTraditional on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: Chapman 500 on ebay.....non gentlemanly conduct

Post by Richard C »

That's dreadful conduct. Shameful :Hair out:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

He must make a report if only to protect others from this trader.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Are Ebay and Ebay sellers are getting worse ?
That rod will probably be re-listed soon with the seller hoping to get more for it second time around.
RBT i hope your friend has not cancelled the sale on ebay that way the seller still has to pay the auction fees, if it,s the one i was watching will be around £8.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes, I will try to convince him to do so. Trouble is with Micky is that he is such a nice guy that he hates conflict of any sort. I hope the seller had trouble sleeping on Friday night, but some how I doubt it, money appears to be his God..................

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Ljm183 wrote:Are Ebay and Ebay sellers are getting worse ?
That rod will probably be re-listed soon with the seller hoping to get more for it second time around.
RBT i hope your friend has not cancelled the sale on ebay that way the seller still has to pay the auction fees, if it,s the one i was watching will be around £8.
That's the one LJM......Unfortunately, like I said, Micky accepted the refund.....too nice for his own good and in his advanced years he doesn't need the hassle, but I will try to convince him of the importance of protecting other buyers from this rogue!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I had one last year that i won the rod, received nothing and no communications were answered by the seller. i got the money back through eBay and then in late January it was relisted. on contacting the seller he told me he had been taken ill and had only recently come out of hospital, offered me the rod at the price i had won it before and i decided to give the benefit of the doubt and agree as long as it was on a buy it now through ebay so i would be covered. Looked on the description, no buy it now. Tries again to contact the seller, again no reply. By then a bid was on the rod and the seller wouldn't change it or couldn't change it. Finally after several attempt so contact the seller called me all the names under the sun and said i was ripping him off expecting him to sell it for what i won it for before, although it was his idea, and he was going to let the auction run. No sense of honor or integrity with some people. The rod made only £4.99 more than when I first won it at and I noticed another rod buyer has had the same problems with him. Mike Harris has offered me the same type of rod stripped and ready ror rebuilding for quite a lot less so all's well in the end. I was told off for naming names so won't this time but as with all things second hand or not from a shop, buyer beware :(

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Even if you accept the refund the seller still has to send a cancellation request to the buyer to cancel the sale , if this is not done the seller still pays the ebay fees, let,s hope the seller doesn,t know this.

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

eBay looks a b....y nightmare, I never realised...I suppose one is inclined to think every ones like one self.
the TFF has opened my eyes I must say.

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

If the seller is crooked, report them and be sure to leave appropriate feedback.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”