Precision Rods - Tudor Supreme

The Precision Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Precision Rods - Tudor Supreme

Post by Haydn Clarke »

As there isn't a section on this maker I thought I'd start be putting these up. This is a Precision Rod's Sealey's Tudor Supreme. The Sealey in question is, I believe, somehow connected to edgar Sealay. The Tudor comes from Tudor Works in Redditch. The rod is a 3pc 12' hollow built medium float rod. It was probably one of the more involved restorations I have undertaken, on account of being hollow built, and also some delaminating section, and then there were the intermediates, which I shalln't forget in a hurry. It was worth it though as it's a nice rod.

These prior to being restored:

These after:

Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Precision Rods.

Post by Mark »

You made a wonderful job of it Haydn, very nice indeed. :hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

What an excellent finish. I love the twist whipping. The before pictures look more like my rods. I can only dream of achieving results like these. :thumb:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

That’s wonderful, well done. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Great work sir!!! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

One gets the impression that emptying the hoover bag indoors might result in Mrs. Clarke not being seen ever again and a new patio chez Haydn appearing soon thereafter :-)

Haydn was kind enough to show us, on another forum, how he achieves these results. I still suspect I'd need wiping down with a damp cloth and to have to learn to hold my breath for 25 minutes before I could pull it off, though.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I'll second that. I have been pretty happy with the results I have been getting. I now begin to feel rather inadequate.

I presume Haydn is using grade A thread (very fine) this gives great results if you have the eyesight and patience to use it. I still can't understand how anyone can get a glass like varnish finish. On cars, I have no fear of using wet and dry to rub down the paint. I am fearful of doing this on rods in case I go too far (ham fisted) and catch the thread. I'll keep trying but am doubtful I will ever reach Haydn's high standards

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Nobby wrote:One gets the impression that emptying the hoover bag indoors might result in Mrs. Clarke not being seen ever again and a new patio chez Haydn appearing soon thereafter :-)

Haydn was kind enough to show us, on another forum, how he achieves these results. I still suspect I'd need wiping down with a damp cloth and to have to learn to hold my breath for 25 minutes before I could pull it off, though.

Now there's an irony there that would not be lost on Mrs Clarke, Nobby, as she claims that I spend most of my life in blissful ignorance of the dust within our home, untill she sees the rod turner coming in out of the garage and I switch into obsessive compulsive disorder mode and dust paranoia begins to take hold. It doesn't help much having a carpet free house, as dust seems to be ever-present. Needless to say, when I'm varnishing I creep about the place like a Ninja trying to avoid the slightest disturbance.

MGs, the thread on that rod is Piper's silk, Kenya red for the main threads and another similar colour in the finer gauge for the inters. Strangely, Pipers don't seem to do matching threads in the various gauges, which is a bit inconvenient. Whatever it is, it's damn fiddly stuff to work with and I prefer Gudebrod any day. For rubbing down I use either some very good scotch-brite sheets I use at work, made by a company called Sia abrasives, or fine wire wool, 0000 grade. Try and get the Liberon stuff if you can as it's far better, and finer than other maker's 0000. Failing that, Trollul do a 0000+ which is alomst as good. Never use wet'n'dry myself as I find it's far to easy to rub through a varnish with.

Thanks for the comments regarding the rod, nice to know I'm doing at least a half decent job.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just to really annoy the rest of you......he's only been doing rods up for about a year!

Not fair really, is it?

:cry:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Haydn

Thanks for the advice. Keep up the good work

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”