vintage nottingham slidders

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Paul F
Sea Trout

vintage nottingham slidders

Post by Paul F »

I have these 2 huge cork/swan Nottingham sliders on a winder, they measure 10" x 1" and are wound on a fairly hefty silk line and wire gimp double hook (treble triangles) tackle with a couple of cylindrical lead weights.

I would guess they were made by one of the leading manufacturers from the late 1800-1900's, and they have had a bit of DIY paint added at some stage.

There are a couple of worm eaten holes in the cork, which I have treated

My questioned is, should I strip them back and restore, or leave alone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: vintage nottingham sliders

Post by Bob Brookes »

Pafpuff,
I absolutely love them Sir.

If they were mine, and I wish they were, I would think for a long while before I did anything.

Personally I would strip back to what is left of the original finish. That would require a bit of testing on one of them. Once back to the original paint I would then consider a sympathetic refurbishment. This would be in line with what happened to my A1 float on page 117 of the Hooked On Floats book by Jeff Della Mura.

It is all a very personal decision, as some would say that the current finish is part of their history so would leave them as they are. Others would over restore to 'as new' condition which I think would be a sin!

Just my thoughts,

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: vintage nottingham slidders

Post by Mike Wilson »

Please leave alone......
Its 'our' history and there are other floats that will do the same job but very few left of the old product.

Thats my view but may not be others

Mike

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

I see that Bob has a similar view........is it our age ???

Mike

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

its OK to replicate floats in my opinion but leave the originals in the state they are, after all they have served their time, purely my thoughts of course :Hat:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Yes, indeed, preserve and copy, and fish with the copies ... which may be finished as you please.
And do tell us how well they worked!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have owned them about 6-8 months and they cost me £45

I look at them a lot and think about restoring them, although my thoughts have always been on the sympathetic side.

I thought about filling the holes with cork dust, stripping the paint from the quills

One of the quills is split and bends backwards, the previous owner has added an oversize quill sleeve (see photo) as crude as it looks it keeps it all solid, clever were these fishermen.

The end tackle is brutle, wire gimp with huge size 4 or 2 treble hooks, although I believe this was a standard set up for barbel and pike.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Vole wrote:Yes, indeed, preserve and copy, and fish with the copies ... which may be finished as you please.
And do tell us how well they worked!
Vole I agree but I think that every item of tackle should be used at some point during it's life

I can't think of anything that is more sad sight than a great piece of tackle shut up in a glass case.
Last edited by Hovis on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Old floats tell a story , think of all the times that those two floats have been cast out and travelled downstream and perhaps been in a tug of war many times in their lives , I would leave them as they are , old and a little bruised which is part of their charm.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

They shout history by the patina they have..leave as they are and just imagine the journey they have been on to reach you. Reedling. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”