55 Question

The ABU Reels forum.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: 55 Question

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I never use line clips on spools even on my modern 22 year old SS3000's

To me it bounces the cast too much if you hit it just a tad too hard. For many years now I have favoured a pole elastic (around 4 or 6 size) marker tied to the line at the desired distance. The line trips over it without any issue on the cast and you soon get used to breaking the cast as the knot rattles up through the guides. I can put rods out at most ranges even in the pitch black of a none light pollutant darkest country retreat and end up with the marker in the same place as where I first tied it. If you hit the cast a little too hard and the knot goes out further than you wanted simply raise the rod and sink the lead if used whilst drawing the rod back. You will soon get used to it. It also allows you to explore a swim as well to see if the hotspot within the hotspot may be a foot further or a foot closer etc by where the marker is.

I've used these reels for almost 35 years now. The line trips over the marker float elastic no problem but you easily feel and hear it rattle through the guides.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I'm with you Shaun, might have to give that a whirl. Wonder what it'll sound like whizzing through the Agate lined rings?

I can imagine this will do the trick on the open water spots. But as I fish smaller waters, and usially to a snag tree, iland or far margin, sometimes over casting by a foot isn't an option, which is why line clips have served me well for so long.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Nigel, have you ever heard of the Ivan Marks line clip? I think I am right when I say he used cast out to his desired spot then put a loop of line round his fingers then transfer it back onto the spool, a good friend told me this but I have never tried it.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've seem you fish Stu and I can't believe you have ever worried about accuracy :Tongue: :Hahaha:

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Might be worth having a word with custom reels uk on facebook or Weston developments. Both companies customise reels for the carp worid, they might be able to help. Tackle box might be worth contacting as they do reel servicing too.

I'm sure you can't be the only person wanting a line clip on a 55.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

John Roberts line clips, 2 sorts - rubber & plastic, do the job admirably!

Return to “ABU Reels”