The Classic Butcher

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Iasgair
Chub

The Classic Butcher

Post by Iasgair »

I was asked by a fellow forum member if I'd do a tutorial on a fly he uses on lakes and lochs. I have never heard of the Butcher and so I looked it up on you tube to find a video and I could only find two videos where this classic was tied. And of course the first video that showed up was a tying video for the American version and I wasn't going to waste my time on watching that because it's not what was asked for. But I found a great video that does show this wet fly.

But first I like to share the history of the flies I tie. This fly was first tied by a man named John Jewhurst and was called Moon's Fly after a butcher he knew. This fly was Moon's favorite fly and then later called Butcher in 1838 by a man named William Blacker. The fly's name was mistakenly thought because how well it caught fish. The red represented blood as the silver body a blade and the blue wing an apron of a butcher.

I couldn't get any blue mallard feathers, but I have them coming from friends who hunt ducks. So right now I had to substitute with blue dyed duck quills. And they are not in the best shape. Beggar's can't be choosy.

Before we get started, I am suffering from a bad chest cold and coughing hard and often. So this may not be my best attempt. The whisky is for after the fly is finished.

Materials:
Hook : whatever hook you like best, but I would prefer a medium gauge hook size 12.
Thread : Black 8/0 or 6/0 Uni Thread
Tail : Red duck quill or goose shoulder
Rib : Oval tinsel in silver
Body : Silver tinsel
Beard : Black hen hackle
Wing : The blue speculum feathers from a mallard. Today I sub for blue duck quill.

Step 1.
Place the hook in the vise and wrap the thread about an eye and a half behind the eye to the bend of the hook.

Step 2.
Now take a few fibers from the red duck quill and tie in the tail. Make the tail a hook shank long and bring the thread almost to the eye of the hook.

Step 3.
Now tie in the oval tinsel under the hook shank by wrapping the thread back to the hook bend.

Step 4.
Tie in the silver tinsel and wrap the thread back up to where you started the thread wrap behind the eye.

Step 5.
Wrap the tinsel up to the thread and tie it off.

Step 6.
We now take a few fibers from the black hen hackle, about a dozen or so and tie them under the hook shank to where the tips touch the hook point or just a bit shorter is fine.

Step 7.
Ok, here's the hard part. The wings. You need a matching set and they say to take about a hook gap of fibers, but I have found that if you take just a few more fibers the wings look better. But in this tutorial I took a gap width and I'm not so sold on it because the wings do compact a tiny bit. But they don't look too bad.

Now line up the wings, you can have them either coming into one another of flared out to the sides, it's up to you. On this fly I put the tips coming into one another. Place the wings on top of the hook shank and pinch them down hard. I mean a Vulcan death grip and do a pinch wrap around the wings and then let the bobbin hang as you adjust the wings. DO NOT LET GO OF THE WINGS! Because if you do you'll lose it all. Hang onto the wings and adjust them to the top of the shank and then put another wrap of thread and then you can let go and look. If everything is where you want it to be go ahead with more wraps and tighten it all down and trim off the waste.

Step 8.
Finish off with 4 whip finishing wraps and add on some UV resin.

There you have it. I will redo this fly again when I have the proper wings and I'm feeling better. I feel I need to redeem myself on this fly. These wings take practice and once you get to the point where you can do them correctly most of the time you must keep practicing or you'll lose the skill from what I have heard and seen for myself.
If your wings don't look as good as you want, don't worry because the fish really don't care. So fish them.

Good luck, and most of all have fun tying.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: The Classic Butcher

Post by Watermole+ »

That is as good as it ever needs to be.
Well proportioned and nicely tied without too much dressing.
Those wings are about right. Not a fan of high wings personally as most of them turn into a bunch of fibres after a few casts anyway. The flatter you can tie them, the better they fish...Or seem to.

Most fishermen have caught with this universal fly but I have never found the Bloody Butcher (tied the same but with a scarlet throat) to be as good.

'The Butcher' will catch a trout anywhere in the world. A staple for generations in the Loch fisher's flybox..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A very good step by step indeed Iasgair, I can't add to Watermole's comments as he's summed things up perfectly :Hat:
I use the Butcher a lot for sea trout btw

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another great fly. When I tied a few of these for my trip to Scotland this year I didn't have the wing material so tied the nymph version instead and had a trout on it second cast (bloody butcher version).
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Watermole+ wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:36 am That is as good as it ever needs to be.
Well proportioned and nicely tied without too much dressing.
Those wings are about right. Not a fan of high wings personally as most of them turn into a bunch of fibres after a few casts anyway. The flatter you can tie them, the better they fish...Or seem to.

Most fishermen have caught with this universal fly but I have never found the Bloody Butcher (tied the same but with a scarlet throat) to be as good.

'The Butcher' will catch a trout anywhere in the world. A staple for generations in the Loch fisher's flybox..

wm+

Naw, I could have done better. It was late and I wasn't feeling well. This morning I feel better so I will give it another go.
I do agree with you on the dislike of high wings. I don't much care for them either but I have been talking with a gentleman in Denver who insists they be high and not slightly to the sides.
I believe it should be tied to the taste of the person tying.

I will redeem myself.

But thanks for the kind words from you all. I need to get back into practice with these wings because I hear the fly tying expo will be in Feb. if Covid doesn't run wild.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

What do you mean by redeem yourself,that tutorial and end product is spot on,and if the wings fray a bit so be it,the rougher the better.
Remember terryll you are putting up tutorials to catch fish,not anglers eyes unless you are planning to sell them.
Here’s a thing,in Scotland the fly you have tied us known as the bloody butcher,obviously because of the red. There is the other version that doesn’t have the red that is known as the butcher.I’ve caught fish on both,and even a big sea trout on the plain butcher. Well done on the great step by step tutorial.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:32 pm What do you mean by redeem yourself,that tutorial and end product is spot on,and if the wings fray a bit so be it,the rougher the better.
Remember terryll you are putting up tutorials to catch fish,not anglers eyes unless you are planning to sell them.
Here’s a thing,in Scotland the fly you have tied us known as the bloody butcher,obviously because of the red. There is the other version that doesn’t have the red that is known as the butcher.I’ve caught fish on both,and even a big sea trout on the plain butcher. Well done on the great step by step tutorial.
So true Ian. But as a tyer my flies must meet my standards. We are all our own critics when it comes to our own hobbies. I'm far from perfect but also realize I will never be perfect. But I need to do the best I can, just like I do at my career. My flies are like my welds, they both have my signature on them.
No one has to like my flies but the fish and I.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:24 pm
Ian wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:32 pm What do you mean by redeem yourself,that tutorial and end product is spot on,and if the wings fray a bit so be it,the rougher the better.
So true Ian. But as a tyer my flies must meet my standards. We are all our own critics when it comes to our own hobbies. I'm far from perfect but also realize I will never be perfect. But I need to do the best I can, just like I do at my career. My flies are like my welds, they both have my signature on them.
No one has to like my flies but the fish and I.
Yes we have our own standards but there’s no such thing as perfect,only what’s viewed as acceptable by our own judgement.

:Hat:
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Wonderful, this is a great little tutorial and I really like the look of this hook pattern. Must dust off my tying kit.

Like WM+ notes the less is more seems to be the key factor here.

My preference is generally to fish these deep and slow which a slight jerky action rather than the normal figure of 8. Always a positive pull!

Noting the wings. Real mallard feather (or (green) teal) really to add something to this fly that the cheaper imitations can't. I'm not sure if it's the shape or iridescence but it does seem to make a difference.

Enjoy the Islay whisky, I enjoy one myself but have to be in the mood for something so peaty.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Fly Tying”