Aspindale's The "Threadline" No. 887.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Aspindale's The "Threadline" No. 887.

Post by Marc »

Stunning looking rod AC. May be a good carp rod?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Prince of Durham wrote:May be a good carp rod?
That would be my hope, Sir ... and carp of a good stamp, too ... given that comparing the tips of this rod and my Edgar Sealey 'Peter Butler Mk. 2 Carp' this one is something of a powerful tool.

Measured at the same points from the tip guide, the comparison shows :-

Sealey Carp :- 0.125in (3.17mm) to 0.319in (8.1mm)

Threadline :- 0.161in (4.1mm) to 0.326in (8.3mm)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Certainly a bit more back bone in the lower end, what reel and line ratings would you pair it with AC?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I still have to do a rough 'test curve' check, Sir ... but as it's called the "Thread line" I would stick to the advice of Alexander Wanless in his book "Thread Line Angling" where, in the chapter 'Importance of Equipment,' he states :-

"The only reels I personally use are the Altexes 1 and 2, and the Illingworths 4 and 5."

An Illingworth would be on my 'lottery list' of reels (a No. 1 appeared at a Mullock's auction in 2011 with a guide price of £1500 to £1700 !!!), but I am lucky enough to have a hardy 'Altex' No. 2 Mk.5., and if I had 2 spools I'd have one of 6lb and another of 10lb. Currently I only have one spool, which is loaded with 6lb for general use with other rods.

As for a centrepin, it will be my Young's 'The Purist 2030' as my other pins are narrow drum, but maybe Santa will bring me a 3 3/4 inch 1950's Allcock Aerial (hint, hint, Mrs. AC). Until then ... I can't knock the budget Marco Cortese I have in my box.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”