slightly puzzled but hey i'm a beginner

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Re: slightly puzzled but hey i'm a beginner

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

Antique Vintage Fishing Tackle is a very professional website. If you contact them by mail a certain Mark Terry will reply to you. You can ask him anything and he will send you more detailed pictures of the rods if you want.

I bought my B James MK IV (with the original bag) from them earlier this year for £295, in very good condition (see pic), with all the original rings and whippings, etc. The rod was perfectly straight, the corck was mind, the ferrules were fitting like a dream. I noticed the rod was slightly revarnished, but with a very thin layer, it was not overdone, a nice job. Because I'm a bit of a maniac I revarnished the small part with the transfers just above the corck a second time, hence the vernish which covers a small part of the corck in the picture below (which I will remove with some sandpaper).

A little while later this year they had a second B James MK IV for sale in original mind condition for £395, so I recontacted Mark and because I'd already bought a rod from him earlier this year he kindly would let me have it for £295. Unfortunately an accident happened during the shipping and the rod arrived broken, so I send some pictures of the broken rod to Mark and he immediately refunded me the money. Now that's what I would call a real "professional service"!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:I too recall that rod selling only a month or so back on eBay.

Yet there is no record of the sale in the current seller's feedback.

Unless he is prepared to accept returns, you might be looking at £100 for a new tip, plus all the work to whip and ferrule it..........
I have it saved

Ended:
16 Aug, 2012 22:46:34 BST
Current bid:
£206.00
Reserve price not met
[ 16 bids ]

This is what the seller put in the ad.

You are viewing a very high standard B.James & Sons, England, Richard Walker Mk 4 Avon Whipped in green Split Cane 3 piece fishing rod, 10ft correct length. All the rings are original, with amber agate butt and tip and are perfect as are all the rings.Full 26 inch full cork handle also with correct sliding reel fittings and red rubber button.All the split cane is sound. The ferrules are of a good fit . No lost of wording on the rod all very readable showing no wear. Finished green whippings are correct colour with a good coats of quality varnish.Comes with new traditional style rod bag in beige.More photos on request. The rod was purchased new and has never been used.

Will be sent in strong packing tube insured and tracked.Or can be collected in person from J16 M6 I have never had any item returned.100% feedback always can be contacted by telephone or email.Positive feedback is always left once the buyer has left the same, if not happy please contact me so it can be sorted out. Payment by Paypal or by Bank Transfer.Payment to be made within 2 days. This is a uk sale item only .

On 12-Aug-12 at 12:38:04 BST, seller added the following information:

Hi i have just had some information about the rod i am selling i was given all the details about the rod by my father and it now seems that it may not be a avon rod is is a mk 4 and its got three pieces to it i am led to believe that one of the end pieces is for short casting sorry if i have misled anyone as it is a genuine mistake as i am not a fisherman if anyone could advise me please let me know
thanks

On 12-Aug-12 at 19:04:14 BST, seller added the following information:

As I mentioned previously, I am not a fisherman and am only taking advice from my father; the whippings are those shown in the photographs (red/wine) not green as stated; sorry for any confusion. The hook eye is original as far as I am aware and there is no evidence of damage to the rod.
Just to re-iterate there are 3 pieces which come with the rod; 2 different end pieces, one which is slightly narrower than the other with the eyelets in a slightly different place, I guess this is for short casting?

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

hmm, another "I am not a fisherman"..... Presumably though, his father is, whom he is supposedly taking advice from. So why has he not stated that there is damage and a bad set to the rod? If this is the case.

Caveat emptor!
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Leon Hoogendijk
Gudgeon

Post by Leon Hoogendijk »

I believe that buying an old bambou rod on Ebay is quite risky anyway...unless you know the seller or the real story of the rod... Professional antique fishing tackle websites are much more sérious, and often sell at very reasonable prices...(which often can also be négociated)...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I understand what you say, Leon, and a couple of my 'gambles' on ebay have proved losers. I also have two rods bought for me from a dealer (praise be to Mrs AC), and one I bought at a Mullock's Auction in 2011 with my pension lump sum (along with my Aerial Match).

However I also get great pleasure from my forays on that well known auction site, and for example I have picked up :-

Milward's Spincraft Major 9 foot for £19.99. I have stripped it, and am whipping on new guides. Ready in a week or two.
Allcock's Lucky Strike for £50.00. I know the tip is 6 inches short but it is eminently fishable as it is, and as a long term project for the winter it will provide hours of interest.
R. Sealey (Tudor Works) "Precise" for £20.00. Two whole cane sections and a split cane tip, needs stripping (already done) and new guides (already acquired).
Edgar Sealey Floatcaster Deluxe for £12.50. Will strip and replace guides and ferrules.
Martin - James rod with local interest for me for £14.50 ... my first restoration shown in this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =38&t=2518

That's the wonderful thing about this hobby of ours ... it truly does support the adage that "angling is not just about catching fish" ... especially for those of us who are unable to make it to the bank as often as we would like. I will, however, end with a collection of rods for a fraction of the price I would have paid at retail ... and the added pleasure of catching on rods I have saved through my own amateurish efforts.

It's also a wonderful thing about this forum ... that there are members who unselfishly offer their experience and knowledge to learners like myself.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Bjp don't worry about being a beginner even the so called experts can get caught out.
I have a lot more rods than I should do collected over many years but when I am not sure I just ask advise on here, as you will see if you look at my posts.
The depth of knowledge on here is quite extraordinary and along with the humour are some of the most endearing things about being a member.
Bumble

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”