Line strength for old mkv1 carp rods?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Line strength for old mkv1 carp rods?

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote::Thumb: +1 MD. I often catch carp to 10lb (inadvertently) on my roach rod, 3lb line and 16 hook. The carp boys are astounded. You just need to be aware of the line and hook size and play the fish accordingly. If you don't bully them, you will be fine.
Remember Albert Buckley caught his 26lb record carp from Mapperley on roach tackle...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I only use 10lb line on any of my MK1V's and have landed carp to 27.12lb and pike of 25lb, but then by using a centrepin I think that you can get away with lighter lines....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I've often thought of the risks to fish safety posed by using really heavy lines, such as 15ib plus, which seems to be the norm in modern day carp fishing, mainly driven by long range fishing and heavy leads. With this, Mr Carp has really no chance if he becomes attached to a length of strong line and gets snagged up and tethered. But with lighter line, that we used to use in the good ole days (8Ib or so) this is more likely to fray and break if entagled in a snag and hence the carp frees itself.

I know there are other measures such as dumping the lead, barbless hooks etc but liine strength does play a factor I think.
Best Fishes
Mushy

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Twelve lb is the heaviest line I've ever used and I wasn't keen. It's very rare I use anything higher than 10lb. (And then I have a lighter hook link so if it breaks, it breaks short). I think if the line is really heavy and the rods are very powerful like 3lb tc etc it isn't really fishing. The fish has no chance. My Dad calls it "skull dragging". It's not a battle, more waiting for a fish to hook its self and then just reeling it in.

I also worry with very heavy line (or stupidly heavy braid) on the force you can apply to the hook and frankly the fishes lip too. I'm sure that's why there are so many fish with missing / damaged lips and mouths.

Another concern of mine is littering the lake bed with leads. I know they contain no actual element Pb now, but surely it's not a good thing? I was talking to a guy once who was telling me to use clips that drop the lead 100% of the time. Sounds expensive to me!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I don't actually recall using anything other than 8lb. It managed to deal perfectly well with 20lb carp and reasonable pike.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Another concern of mine is littering the lake bed with leads. I know they contain no actual element Pb now, but surely it's not a good thing? I was talking to a guy once who was telling me to use clips that drop the lead 100% of the time. Sounds expensive to me!
I think that most of the leads that get dropped do contain lead. I agree with you, and personally regard it as pollution. From the point of view of the environment it's no different to chucking in 3 or more ounces of lead for every fish caught.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

GarryProcter wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote: Another concern of mine is littering the lake bed with leads. I know they contain no actual element Pb now, but surely it's not a good thing? I was talking to a guy once who was telling me to use clips that drop the lead 100% of the time. Sounds expensive to me!
I think that most of the leads that get dropped do contain lead. I agree with you, and personally regard it as pollution. From the point of view of the environment it's no different to chucking in 3 or more ounces of lead for every fish caught.
I have just looked it up. The EA says: "lead shot from size 14 to size 8 and lead weights of over 1 ounce can be used in fishing".

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... 37941.aspx

Quite frankly that is totally DISGRACEFUL and needs to be changed.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I never use anything heavier than 6lb bs even for bass fishing.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I fished my difficult lake today, and didn't catch. But watched several carp anglers come and go during the day and everyone fished exactly the same. None did a tour of the lake, and all fished with 3 rods at distance. Single round ball with more balls added at intervals?

During my time today I never saw a fish taken. I had several fish around my baits but no pick up. No other anglers saw any fish as being the bailiff I asked?

Without exception all had line they used was of 12/15lb, as mentioned death to carp if tethered. I've noticed on some waters 12lb is the minimum they allow. What is going on. In clear non-snag water 8lb (that breaks at 10lb mostly) is all you need as said before. I know I don't fish for giants but surely some sportsmanship must enter into it at some stage?

These days it seems to be fish at any cost.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”