ID help please.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

ID help please.

Post by StalkingLuke »

I put in a cheap bid for this reel on ebay and surprisingly won it. It has a diameter of 4 1/2 inches, I think it's made from pressed steel and seems like it came from a budget range. It has a slight buckle which I may try to correct but otherwise a good cheap usable reel.
Does anybody have any more information please?
P1050523.JPG
P1050524.JPG
Thanks
Luke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: ID help please.

Post by Nobby »

That's an Allcocks Black Knight, Luke. Its deep arbour making it popular for sea fishing as it holds so much line.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Many thanks Nobby, I did wonder with it being so deep. I'm going to pack it out with fly backing and then use it for carp and barbel, although quite a sturdy reel its surprisingly light.
Any idea when it may have been built?
thanks
Luke

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

stalkingluke wrote:Many thanks Nobby, I did wonder with it being so deep. I'm going to pack it out with fly backing and then use it for carp and barbel, although quite a sturdy reel its surprisingly light.
Any idea when it may have been built?
thanks
Luke
There's no need to put backing on a centrepin as the line only ever comes off straight and if there is too much on there you will suffer from it bedding in when line is recovered under tension.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Snape, if wound straight on to the small diameter will it not make the line coil a little? I've found this with fly lines on small reels in the past.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

True, this is the reason for the current trend for 'large arbor' ( American spelling) reels.

But Snape is right, a strong fish can easily give you line bedding...perhaps you could knock something up with cork? Either a spiral of sheet or perhaps a spice jar top, hollowed out and then cut in half, before being pinned and glued back together on the reel.

I did once see a reel 'filled' with thickish line, then a turn or two of tape before the mainline was wound on....I guess that would be the simplest route...and the quickest and cheapest.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:True, this is the reason for the current trend for 'large arbor' ( American spelling) reels.

But Snape is right, a strong fish can easily give you line bedding...perhaps you could knock something up with cork? Either a spiral of sheet or perhaps a spice jar top, hollowed out and then cut in half, before being pinned and glued back together on the reel.

I did once see a reel 'filled' with thickish line, then a turn or two of tape before the mainline was wound on....I guess that would be the simplest route...and the quickest and cheapest.
I have 2 Aerials which have a depth of about 13-15mm which this reel looks like it also has. They each have 3 or 4 mm depth of line on them and I have never had any problems.

I was thinking about Nobby's idea with the cork and thought about the cork flask rings I use in the lab which might be shaped to do the job like these
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cor ... m270.l1313
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

The depth is more like 30mm so quite a lot to build up so I will experiment with the various suggestions, thanks.
Unfortunately my two year old son has just dropped the reel so the small wobble is now larger, I will have to remedy this now as well.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”